This page summarizes open resources underlying the Flex-Offer technology.
In collaboration with partners, AAU-Daisy has developed a universal unified way to represent / model flexibilities in electricity consumption and production, and this generalized model is called a “Flex-Offer”. This concept and the underlying technology have been developed in a number of EU FP7, H2020 and Danish Innovation Fund projects. Below, we provide references to these projects, as well as the key artifacts, summarizing the main findings and contribution.
To get an overview, we suggest the following references and the reading order: P19, R1, S1, P9, R3, R2.
- MIRABEL (2010-2013) - developed a scalable ICT system for (1) Higher RES integration; (2) Demand-supply balancing; (3) Flex-offer management
- TOTALFLEX (2012-2016)– developed and demonstrated a market-based system for flexibility trading and congestion management
- Arrowhead (2013-2017)– it’s the largest European automation project of all time; It focuses on collaborative automation and interoperability of networked devices in (1) production, (2) end-user services, (3) smart buildings and infrastructure, (4) electro-mobility, and (5) markets of energy.
- DiCyps (2015-2021) – makes a fundamental research on how to utilize software and data for smarter solutions in heath, traffic, energy, and community service domains
- GoFlex (2016-2019)- a Horizon 2020 project, which integrate and demonstrate a group of smart-grid technologies for the cost effective use of demand response in distribution grids
Key project reports
- [R1] An overview of the Flex-Offer concept, GOFLEX, 2018
- [R2] The MIRABEL deliverable D7.5:MIRABEL-ONE: Initial draft of the MIRABEL Standard, 2011.
- [R3] The TOTALFLEX final report, 2016.
A number of papers and reports have been published on the topics related to Flex-Offers since 2010. The most relevant ones are given below:
- [P1] Matthias Böhm, Lars Dannecker, Andreas Doms, Erik Dovgan, Bogdan Filipic, Ulrike Fischer, Wolfgang Lehner, Torben Bach Pedersen, Yoann Pitarch, Laurynas Siksnys, Tea Tusar: Data management in the MIRABEL smart grid system.EDBT/ICDT Workshops 2012.
- [P2] Ulrike Fischer, Dalia Kaulakiene, Mohamed Khalefa, Wolfgang Lehner, Torben Bach Pedersen, Laurynas Siksnys, Christian Thomsen: Real-Time Business Intelligence in the MIRABEL Smart Grid System, BIRTE, 2012
- [P3] T. Tušar, L. Šikšnys, TB. Pedersen, E. Dovgan, B. Filipic: Using aggregation to improve the scheduling of flexible energy offers, Proc. of BIOMA, 2012.
- [P4] Valsomatzis E., Hose K., Pedersen T.B.Balancing Energy Flexibilities Through Aggregation.In: Woon W., Aung Z., Madnick S. (eds) Data Analytics for Renewable Energy Integration. DARE 2014. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 8817.
- [P5] Emmanouil Valsomatzis, Katja Hose, Torben Bach Pedersen, Laurynas Šikšnys, Measuring and Comparing Energy Flexibilities, 2015
- [P6] L. Šikšnys, E. Valsomatzis, K. Hose and T. B. Pedersen, "Aggregating and Disaggregating Flexibility Objects," in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 2893-2906, 1 Nov. 2015.
- [P7] Šikšnys L., Thomsen C., Pedersen T.B. MIRABEL DW: Managing Complex Energy Data in a Smart Grid. In: Hameurlain A., Küng J., Wagner R., Cuzzocrea A., Dayal U. (eds) Transactions on Large-Scale Data- and Knowledge-Centered Systems XXI, 2015.
- [P8] Bijay Neupane, Torben Bach Pedersen, and Bo Thiesson. 2015. Evaluating the Value of Flexibility in Energy Regulation Markets. In Proceedings of the 2015 ACM Sixth International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy '15). ACM,NewYork,NY,USA,131-140.
- [P9] Le Guilly, Thibaut; Siksnys, Laurynas; Albano, Michele; Pedersen, Per D.; Stluka, Petr; Ferreira, Luis Lino; Skou, Arne Joachim; Pedersen, Torben Bach; Olsen, Petur. An Energy Flexibility Framework on the Internet of Things.The Success of European Projects using New Information and Communication Technologies, 2016.
- [P10] E. Valsomatzis, T. B. Pedersen, A. Abelló and K. Hose, "Aggregating energy flexibilities under constraints," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm), Sydney, NSW, 2016, pp. 484-490.
- [P11] Bijay Neupane, Laurynas Šikšnys, and Torben Bach Pedersen. DeMand: A tool for evaluating and comparing device-level demand and supply forecast models, 2016,
- [P12] Laurynas Šikšnys and Torben Bach Pedersen. 2016. Dependency-based FlexOffers: scalable management of flexible loads with dependencies. In Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy '16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 11.
- [P13] Emmanouil Valsomatzis, Torben Bach Pedersen, Alberto Abelló, Katja Hose, and Laurynas Šikšnys. Towards constraint-based aggregation of energy flexibilities. In Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Future Energy Systems Poster Sessions (e-Energy '16). ACM, New York, NY, 2016.
- [P14] Bijay Neupane, Laurynas Šikšnys, and Torben Bach Pedersen. Generation and Evaluation of Flex-Offers from Flexible Electrical Devices. In Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy '17). ACM,NewYork,NY, USA, 143-156, 2017.
- [P15] Chapter 7 of this book: Delsing, Jerker. IoT Automation: Arrowhead Framework (1st Edition). CRC Press. 2017.
- [P16] Davide Frazzetto, Bijay Neupane, Torben Bach Pedersen, and Thomas Dyhre Nielsen. 2018. Adaptive User-Oriented Direct Load-Control of Residential Flexible Devices. In Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy '18).
- [P17] Bijay Neupane, Torben Bach Pedersen, and Bo Thiesson. Utilizing Device-level Demand Forecasting for Flexibility Markets. In Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 108-118, 2018.
- [P18] Emmanouil Valsomatzis, Torben Bach Pedersen, and Alberto Abelló. Day-ahead Trading of Aggregated Energy Flexibility. In Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 134-138, 2018
- [P19] Torben Bach Pedersen, Laurynas Šikšnys, and Bijay Neupane, "Modeling and Managing Energy Flexibility Using FlexOffers," SmartGridComm, 2018.
- [P20] Laurynas Šikšnys, Torben Bach Pedersen, Muhammad Aftab, and Bijay Neupane, "Flexibility Modeling, Management, and Trading in Bottom-up Cellular Energy Systems," In Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy '19). ACM, Phoenix, AZ, USA, 170-180, 2019.
- [S1] Flex-Offer overview presentation, the EERA workshop, DTU, Copenhagen, 2016.
- [T1] TOTALFLEX: A marketplace for flexibility, 2014
- [T2] Demonstration of Virtual Energy Market : A SOA-based Approach, ArrowHead, Stavanger, 2015.
Open source implementations
- The Virtual Market of Energy (VME) implementation developed in the Arrowhead project
- The SOLVEDB implementation, also used for Flex-Offer optimization. More details here.
- The GOFLEX FlexOffer Manager open-source implementation.
- The GOFLEX FlexOffer Agent open-source implementation.
- Practical basic Flex-Offer examples in JSON.